Johnny Mark Herring is an American songwriter and multi-instrumentalist with a foundation in performing, producing, recording and mixing.
Being a multi-instrumentalist (drums, guitar, bass) brought opportunities to tour, play weekly gigs, and be involved in diverse recordings ranging from country, rock and metal, to gospel and jazz.
The result is a Texas Alternative Rock artist who blends solid songwriting with diverse Americana-Folk and Spiritual influences.
As a singer-songwriter he’s been a featured solo performer at Austin’s acclaimed listening room, the Cactus Café, and has received numerous songwriting awards.
From 2005-2010 he operated a mobile recording studio capturing live events for churches and bands, which led to focus on production and mixing.
After completing a 13-song album co-produced with his father in 2013, Mark dedicated the next 2 years to fighting cancer with his wife and re-aligning priorities. Through the challenges of 2015, he finished a 6-song EP, We Know If They Knew, which released in 2016.
“Making the EP was a stress relief that summer,” he says, “all the songs are personal, but my favorite is Feelings Fade. I would sing it to myself to fight off depression.”
Mark is always writing and his next project is in pre-production – expected out by 2017 in LP form. One of his musical goals is to offer people encouragement and a moment to think about important things when they hear his songs. “Life moves too fast to ignore moments.”
We Know If They Knew is available now.
- Story Of Our Lives (LGL) – 2013 Songwriting Competition 1st Place Winner (Inspirational) and International Finalist (top-15 of over 1600 writers)
- I Can Be the Rain* – 2014 Songwriting Competition Finalist (Singer-Songwriter) and Honorary Mention top-5 (Bare Bones)
- That’s What I Knew* – 2014 Songwriting Competition Finalist (Folk/Americana)
- Feelings Fade (Walk On Faith) – 2015 International Finalist top-15 of over 1700 writers (Inspirational), ASG Finalist top-15
- What Do You Think It’s Like (Over There) – 2015 Competition 2nd Place (Inspirational), 3rd Place (Songs About Places), Honorable Mention top-6 (Singer-Songwriter)
New music coming in 2017!
I always write. Always, even while mowing the yard.
Recording? Now that’s a different story. It takes a lot of time and depending on the scope, it can be expensive.
Each song represents about 40 hours worth of work… of course I still have a job and family life.
So that’s why I get excited when I can finally say NEW MUSIC IS COMING!!
(includes new and yet un-released “Only Thing Between Us” not available elsewhere)